People spend so much think worrying about what smoker to buy or which type of charcoal to cook with. Investing in the right smoker accessories doesn’t just make your life a lot easier, it’ll improve the quality of your BBQ too!
You’ll regret not investing in these 6 smoker and grill accessories sooner!
1) A quality wireless meat thermometer
Our top smoker accessory is a no brainer. If you’ve tried to BBQ without a meat thermometer I feel sorry for you! Even after buying my first thermometer walking outside to check the temperature every 20 minutes during a 10 hour brisket cook started to get pretty annoying.
If you already have a thermometer, investing in a quality wireless unit helps improve the temperature control of your smoker. Remember that low and slow is all about consistent temperature. Using a probe is pretty simple and usually involves:
- Stick the temperature probe into the meat
- On the receiver select temperature or timer (you’ll usually want to select temperature)
- Then select the meat type or choose a manual temperature
- Choices usually include custom, beef, poultry, veal, pork, lamb and fish
- Watch a movie, mow the lawn, drink a beer (etc etc)
- The thermometer will beep when it hits the temperature you set
Our pick: The ThermoPro TP-08 wireless meat thermometer
For price and durability the ThermoPro is a solid choice. If you do a lot of cooking during a party (or get easily distracted) the flashing background is a nice addition. The rubber armor surrounding the case should give you some piece of mind if you’re prone to dropping it on the ground.
- Temperature range of probe: 32˚F to 572˚F (0˚C to 300˚C), ±1.5°F/0.8°C accuracy
- Range: 300 ft range wireless receiver
- Price: Get a price on the ThermoPro TP-08 at Amazon
2) Heat resistant BBQ gloves
Your primary goal when you BBQ should be to create delicious smoked meat. A good secondary goal is to avoid burning the bejesus out of your hands. The first time I used a Weber Chimney Starter I got to enjoy a nice shower of scolding hot sparks on my bare hands.
Now I use a pair of heat resistant BBQ gloves whenever I’m handling charcoal. Gloves are also useful for turning food without damaging the bark you work so hard to achieve.
Our pick: Grill Heat Aid 932°F Extreme Heat Resistant Gloves
Try and find oven mitts that protect your hands at 932 degrees! While some people report being able to feel some heat coming through, if you avoid letting cooking liquid get on the gloves a pair of these will be do the trick when you BBQ. They fit snug as well. Just make sure the wife doesn’t steal them for baking…
- Temperature protection: 932˚F thanks to an exterior layer of premium quality Para & Meta aramid fibers
- Grip: Silicone strips for a superb grip, complete confidence and safety
- Price: Get a price on the Grill Heat Aid 932°F Extreme Heat Resistant Gloves at Amazon (Currently 44% off).
3) A chimney fire starter
Unless you like painstakingly stacking your charcoal over chemical fire starters this is a no brainer. And if you are dousing your charcoal in lighter fluid please stop now!
Just pour your charcoal into the chimney starter, scrunch up a few paper towels with a few tea spoons of oil and then light. Place the chimney over the ball of paper towels and you should be good to go with 10-20 minutes.
Our pick: Weber Rapidfire Chimney Starter
Can’t go wrong with the classic Weber chimney starter. Currently under $15 on Amazon but you get Weber quality at the same price point as other brands. Just make sure you get the right size for the amount of charcoal you need to use.
- Product Dimensions: 7.5 x 7.5 x 12 inches
- Capacity: Holds enough briquettes for a 22-1/2-inch kettle grill
- Price: Get a price on the Weber Rapidfire Chimney Starter at Amazon
4) A BBQ grill brush to keep your cooking area clean
You don’t want to be the person who spends $1,000 on a Kamado Joe but won’t spend 10 bucks to keep their fancy grill clean.
Getting into the habit of cleaning your grill after every cook and your life will be a lot easier.
- After a cook, crank the temperature for around 10 minutes and then clean with a wire brush while all the built up meaty gunk is fresh.
- Before the next cook take the inside grate and give it a good cleaning with water while your smoker or grill is coming up to temperature
- Put the grate back into the grill/smoker and let it get nice and hot before putting food on.
This way you make sure there are no stray wires getting left behind by the brush and making their way into your food (this is rare but you really don’t want it to happen once!).
Our pick: 18″ BBQ Grill Steel Brush
At 18″ this brush has a huge scrubbing surface so you can quickly get any built up gunk off your grill. It’s built to last as well with a durable handle and most importantly it won’t shed.
- Construction: 18″ long, very strong and able to reach the farthest parts of the grill easily and without the risk of burns
- Safe to use on: Cast iron, stainless steel, carbon steel, porcelain, and ceramic grill surfaces for charcoal, gas and infrared grills
- Price: Get a price on the 18″ BBQ Grill Steel Brush at Amazon
5) Solid bear claws for pulled pork
We could mention how useful bear claws are for shredding, lifting and transferring all kinds of meat. But really all you need to know is that a good set of bear claws will turn you into a total BBQ bad ass. Guaranteed.
Use them to transform pork butts into delicious pulled pork, or shredding slow cooked chicken. You can also use them for less bad ass tasks like holding meat while carving or transferring meat.
Our pick: Taste N Create Bear Claws
Live out your Wolverine fantasies with these stylish (and well designed) bear claws. If the claw handle isn’t super strong it can be really hard to properly shred the meat. These claws are super durable and strong and can easily shred anything you throw at them. Might want to keep away from the kids though…
- Design: Ergonomically designed handles stay cool, making them the safe for handling hot meat
- Temperature: Withstands temps of 450F
- Price: Get a price on the Taste N Create Bear Claws at Amazon
6) Sturdy BBQ Tongs
If you’re like me and like to avoid burning your own hands you’ll appreciate owning a good pair of LONG grilling tongs.
Our pick: OXO 16″ grilling tongs
These 16″ tongs from OXO tick all the boxes. The head is wide enough to easily slide under and grip food so you’ll have no excuses for dropping the brisket. The 16″ length also means you can keep your hands well clear of any hot coals.
- Design: Durable stainless steel construction means they don’t bend when lifting heavier meats
- Grip: Soft, non-slip handle for a comfortable grip – Dishwasher saf
- Price: Get a price on the OXO 16″ grilling tongs at Amazon
It’s true that spending time and money obsessing over accessories won’t make you a great barbecuer. But investing in some simple, quality bbq accessories can save you a lot of time and hassle, and ultimately make your BBQ taste better.
These are just a few out of hundreds of great smoker accessories. Share your favourite accessories in the comments below.