Writer, Product Reviews
At Smoked BBQ Source (View all jobs)
Smoked BBQ Source is a small but fast growing barbecue media company with the goal of being the top destination for pit masters of all levels who want to master the art of grilling and smoking meat.
Our product review program has the goal of helping our large audience decide what grill, smoker, or accessory to buy, what not to buy, and how to use it.
Our readers trust us to help them make the right purchasing decision and we take this responsibility seriously. We put products we review through rigorous rounds of real-world testing.
As a Product Review writer, you will work directly with our editorial team on the end to end process from deciding which products to cover, to carrying out thorough product testing, documenting your findings, taking photos (and potentially videos as well), and writing engaging, detailed product reviews.
Our ideal candidate has strong editorial and writing skills, and a broad base of knowledge about barbecue and the different types of products involved.
The role will cover a wide range of products including smokers of all kinds, grills, pizza ovens, thermometers, knives, and accessories.
This is a remote position so you will need to have the ability to receive multiple items per month and then conduct multiple rounds of testing. You will work with our team to establish a testing process.
We will purchase products for you to review, and in some cases where we have relationships with manufacturers, they will send you free review units.
You will be responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships with product manufacturers to ensure we get an early look at new products, source review units, and learn about upcoming discounts that we can share with our audience.
- Write and maintain reviews of smokers, grills, thermometers and accessories
- Write and help maintain Buying Guides (e.g. the best pellet grills of 2020)
- Establish and maintain relationships with product manufacturers
- Write how-to articles to help consumers get the most out of their purchases
- Contribute news articles related to new product releases
What we’re looking for:
- 2+ years of editorial experience for a print or digital outlet
- Experience with a range of different types and models of barbecues and grills
- Writing experience. Prior review experience a plus
- A skeptical mind with a scientific approach to testing products. Attention to detail is a must
- Photography skills a plus
- Experience with video (technical and or being in front of camera) a plus
- Must be based in the continental USA
- A love for grills, smokers and barbecue gadgets and accessories
- Not a bbq snob! We test all types of smokers so if you have a personal vendetta against pellet grills you need not apply
This is a part-time, remote position. Estimated 20 hours per week, with the opportunity to increase to full time for the right person. We are highly flexible with hours and when you work. To complete your application submit the form below.