Apple and Beets Slaw
Crisp and fresh apple and raw beets slaw with a touch of zesty lemon.
- 2 large beets, coarsely peeled and grated
- 2 green apples, cored, then cut into matchsticks then cut in half (you can peel if you prefer)
- ½ head red cabbage, very finely sliced
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1 lemon (for zest and juice for serving)
Start by peeling and coarsely grating the beets and placing them into a large bowl.
Core the apples and cut into matchsticks. You can peel them but I like the texture of the skin. Once in matchsticks, cut in half again and add to the bowl.
Finely chop up the cabbage and add this to the ingredients in the bowl.
With all of the other ingredients measured out, add these to the freshly chopped ingredients and stir up well.
I suggest making it an hour in advance as it also allows the sugars to dissolve and the flavors to mix a little longer. Adding some lemon zest and lemon juice is a great way to freshen it up.
If used as a side dish for chops, steak or poultry. I like to start by placing the slaw side dish on the plate first; I’d put down a large helping. Then adding some lemon zest and squeeze of juice.
When pairing it in a burger, as is and no lemon needed, it will add the perfect crunch factor to your next pulled pork burgers.
On its own, yes that’s right, it is a side dish that can be the main dish. It is that good.