I made this celery salad years ago and people cannot get enough of it. I seriously mean it. At the end of most BBQ’s you will see a table full of half-empty salad containers, yet whenever I make this salad, it is gone pretty quick and I get asked all the time what is in it. If only they knew how simple it is to make.
Don’t tell people your secrets
Okay I’m breaking my own rule here by telling you not to let others know about this recipe and yet, I’m freely giving it away as well.
Keeping them guessing is the best way I say. For a simple salad, it tastes way more complex than it is.
It is super fresh and pairs with seafood, steak and poultry. I have even put it into rolls with cold meats and had it for lunch the next day.
The longer you keep this recipe to yourself, the longer you don’t have to come up with new ideas for sides. It’s when others learn of your recipes, they then go and make them over and over again and when your next BBQ comes around again, they are already over the same old same and you are once again left with bowls of half eaten salads.
Celery and Parmesan Salad
This is one of my recipes that proves you do not need to over complicate things, keep it simple and let the flavors speak.
You can scroll to the bottom of this page to get the full list of ingredients or you can keep reading and find some useful tips and tricks that may just help you out of a bind or two.
This salad is a great way to start building some flavors but you can always add more depth and by adding one or two more ingredients you can totally change the whole dynamic and taste.
Here are a few other tips:
- If you cannot get a hold of lemons, use limes to make the flavor more zesty.
- Add some scallions to the recipes for an added crunch and another depth of flavor.
- If you want to thicken it up, add a ¼ cup of mayonnaise to the mix.
- If you really want to make an impact, add 1 cup of shredded chicken to this with the mayo and you’ll be in salad heaven.
How long will it last?
Not long, it’s celery and now wet cheese. In saying that it will be okay for a day or two in the fridge covered up. It is that simple and quick to make though, there is really no need to make it ahead of time, maybe just before your guests turn up, so they don’t know what you put into it.
In saying this, I have found the version that I add some mayonnaise to the mixture did last a bit longer in the fridge, I still wouldn’t recommend trying to keep any salad longer than a day or two though.
Fresh crunchy salad is why we make it, limp soggy salad has no appeal and will quickly get your BBQ King crown taken off you, just as quickly if you were to overcook someone’s steak.
The great thing is you can buy the groceries used for the salad ahead of time and they will be fine in the fridge for quite a few days.
So make it on the day, keep it fresh and you’ll never have any problems.
Celery and Parmesan Salad
- 4 stalks celery thinly sliced
- ¼ cup celery leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- ½ tsp celery salt
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese shaved
- Place the sliced celery and chopped celery leaves in a bowl.
- Add olive oil, lemon zest, juice, pepper, celery salt and toss to combine.
- Add parmesan cheese and gently mix.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.