I firmly believe everything tastes better when it’s wrapped in bacon (I mean, have you tried Bacon-wrapped Oreos yet?). Hot dogs are no exception to that rule.
Wrapping hot dogs in bacon adds a salty, smoky kick to the grilling season classic – once you try them, you’ll never go back to regular hot dogs again.
Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs
Let’s be honest, this is less of a “recipe” and more of a technique.
The only ingredients you’re going to need are hot dogs and bacon (plus buns and whatever toppings you like to add to your dogs), but there are some things to keep in mind…
Ingredients you’ll need
- Hot dogs – I recommend grabbing a pack of Jumbo hot dogs for this recipe. I find that the jumbo dogs are way better when you’re wrapping them in bacon. Because they’re larger, you can spread out the slice of bacon a little better, plus, they take longer to cook, so you will be able to give the bacon plenty of time to cook without overcooking your hot dog.
- Bacon – Skip the thick-cut bacon for this recipe, it takes too long to cook, and you run the risk of over-cooking your hot dog. Pick a classic-cut bacon, aim for one slice per hot dog.
- Hot dog buns – I’m a big fan of brioche hot dog buns, but whatever brand/variety you prefer will work just fine.
Tools you’ll need
- Griddle – I like to cook these on the griddle. Bacon can cause flare-ups on a gas or charcoal grill, plus the bacon can get caught on the grill grates during the cooking process.
- Tongs – you’ll need a sturdy pair of tongs to rotate your hot dogs during cooking. I recommend our 18” Barbecue Tongs because they make the dogs easy to grip.
How to make Bacon-wrapped Hot dogs
1. Wrap your dogs
Starting at one end of your hot dog, take a slice of bacon and wrap it evenly around the hot dog.
I like to use one slice of bacon and leave some areas uncovered, but if you want to pack in extra bacon, you can use two slices to cover the entire surface of the hot dog.
I find that the bacon sticks to the hot dog without the need for toothpicks, but if you want to make sure that your bacon doesn’t go anywhere, you can add a couple of toothpicks.
Preheat your griddle to medium heat for about 15 minutes so it’s nice and hot when you’re ready to put your hot dogs on.
I used my Grilla Grills Primate with the griddle attachment for this recipe.
I love this grill because it doubles as both a gas grill and a griddle, making it a super versatile grill for any backyard!
Place your bacon-wrapped hot dogs with the bacon ends facing down to start, and let them cook for about 3 minutes to secure the bacon in place.
Gently rotate the hot dogs to get an even sear on all sides. Four small rotations are usually enough to cook each side thoroughly.
You can remove the hot dogs from the griddle when the bacon is crispy on all sides.
3. Build your hot dogs
Treat these bacon-wrapped hot dogs the same way you would any other hot dog.
Place your hot dog in your bun, pile on toppings and condiments of your choice, and it’s time to dig in.
Not sure what toppings to add to your hot dog?
- 6 Hot Dogs to Make at Your Next Cookout
- Quick Pickled Red Onions
- 24-Hour BBQ Pickle Chips
- Homemade BBQ Sauce
Bacon-wrapped Hot Dogs
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 lb bacon
- 8 hot dog buns
- Preheat your griddle to medium heat.
- Wrap each hot dog tightly in one slice of bacon.
- Place your bacon-wrapped hot dogs on the griddle with the ends of the bacon facing down. Let them cook for about 3 minutes undisturbed to allow to bacon to stay in place.
- Rotate the hot dogs gently with your tongs and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side until the bacon is crisped to your liking. I find that 4 rotations is usually enough to get an even sear on all sides.
- Remove the hot dogs from the griddle and serve with hot dog buns, topping, and condiments of your choice. Enjoy!