This Korean bbq sauce is packed with umami and is a beautiful deep red color that looks and tastes great on pork, chicken, and even fish.
The base of the sauce is made with gochujang, we add in some soy sauce, hoisin, and honey, to create a flavor bomb you’ll want to try on everything.
If you love Asian flavors, this is definitely the sauce for you.
Korean BBQ Sauce
Ingredients you’ll need
- Gochujang – the heat level can range from mild to moderately hot, check the packaging as this will often have an indication of its spice level.
- Soy sauce ribs
- Rice wine vinegar
- Sesame seed oil
- Garlic – fresh is best, but you could use garlic paste.
- Ginger – fresh is best, but you could use ginger paste.
Equipment you’ll need
- Grater – A microplane works well here, as you want a fine grate for the garlic and ginger.
- Jar – with a lid for storage.
What is gochujang?
Gochujang is a Korean chili paste made from fermented chili peppers, rice or wheat flour, soybeans, and salt.
The consistency is like a thick paste, and the color is a rich red.
Flavor-wise, it’s spicy, slightly sweet, and earthy. Loaded with umami flavors that are savory and satisfying.
What can you use this sauce for?
This sauce is especially good on my Gochujang BBQ Ribs. Make these at any bbq, and your guests will be asking for the recipe.
I also use it to glaze chicken wings, it’s great for dipping or as a condiment with lettuce wraps.
My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
How to make Korean BBQ Sauce
This is a super simple sauce to throw together.
Grate the ginger and garlic using a fine grater, you don’t want chunks in this sauce.
Add the gochujang, soy sauce, hoisin, rice wine vinegar, grated ginger, grated garlic, honey, and sesame seefd oil to a medium-sized bowl and whisk together until well combined.
Store in a mason jar or an airtight container in the fridge for later use.
Korean BBQ Sauce
- ¼ cup gochujang
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tbsp garlic fresh, grated
- 1 tbsp ginger fresh, grated
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients together and whisk well to combine.
- Store in a mason jar or airtight container in the fridge.