A great splice blend rub is the key for turning your cured corned beef into delicious pastrami.
All authentic pastrami rubs contain ample amounts of freshly ground black pepper and coriander.
This rub ramps up the flavor by mixing freshly cracked pepper and coriander seeds with a special blend of spice powders.
The inspiration for this recipe came from amazingribs.com.
This rub has been designed for pastrami, but you can also use it on all other kinds of meat.
Don’t worry if the whole seeds are still quite chunky. The flavors will mellow out and they help create an amazing texture for the bark.
You will need to smash them pretty hard with a heavy frying pan or rolling pin to crack them open.
Smoked Pastrami Rub
- 2 Tbsp Whole black peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp Ground black peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp Whole coriander seeds
- 1 Tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 2 Tsp Garlic powder
- 2 Tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 Tsp Whole mustard seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard powder
- Combine all of the powder ingredients in a small bowel.
- Combine the whole peppercorns, coriander seeds and mustard seeds and lay on a clean cloth.
- Fold the cloth and then use a heavy pan or rolling pin to smash the seeds. You want them to be cracked but not completely turned into a powder.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- If you are using now, spread mustard over the meat to help the rub stick and then apply rub liberally to all sides of the meat. Make sure to press the rub in with your hands to help it stick.
- You can substitute the whole peppercorns and coriander and mustard seeds for powder if you wish. But the cracked seeds have a lot more flavor and help create a more textured rub.
- Every ingredient is optional except for the ground coriander and black pepper.