Southern Style Coleslaw
I’m a huge fan of coleslaw. The creamy, tangy flavor combined with the crunch of the slaw is so satisfying.
Not to mention this Southern-style coleslaw is the perfect compliment to the delicious smokey barbecue that you’ve labored all day over.
One of the best things about this recipe is that the dressing is really easy and quick to make! And you probably have most of the ingredients on hand.
Serve this alongside pulled pork or barbecue ribs for the perfect plate of food.
How to make Southern Style Coleslaw
1. The vegetables
Skip the bagged stuff and chop fresh green and purple cabbage.
My friend recently gave me a few heads of cabbage and I took it as a sign to make some coleslaw! And seriously if you use fresh ingredients your recipe will turn out so much better.
To really get the kind of cut you want on cabbage, quarter them first and then slice really thinly.
You can also use a mandolin if you want or a food processor with a shredding attachment. Just watch your fingers.
After the cabbage is all cut up, grate your carrots and set that all aside.
2. The dressing
Make the dressing in a separate bowl by whisking together mayonnaise, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
The dressing should be tangy, creamy, and delicious. If it looks too thick add a touch more apple cider vinegar.
3. Mix it up
Give your vegetables a good mix until they are well combined.
Add your dressing.
And give it another good mix until all the vegetables are well coated in the dressing.
Like most slaws, this one is best eaten within a few hours of being made but will keep in the fridge for up to two days. Just drain any excess before serving.
There you have it! It doesn’t get any easier or more delicious than this.
Serve it up with your favorite bbq dish or heap a generous serving of pulled pork right on top and dive right in.
This delicious Southern-style coleslaw is perfect for whatever you’re smoking or grilling this weekend.
Make that BBQ better
- 25 best barbecue side dishes
- The 18 best bbq rubs you can buy online
- The 15 best bbq sauces you can buy online
- 6 mop sauce recipes to give you the edge
Southern Style Coleslaw
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- ¾ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper course grind
- Finely slice the green and red cabbage and place in a large bowl.
- Grate the carrot and add to the bowl with the cabbage, mixing it well.
- Just before serving add the dressing to the cabbage mixture and toss to combine.
- In a bowl combine all the dressing ingredients together.