The TP15H builds upon their instant read thermometer line adding a few nice additions.
In this review, we test out the ThermoPro TP15H to see if it’s a worthwhile purchase.
Click to jump straight to each topic
ThermoPro TP15H overview and first impressions
The ThermoPro TP15H builds upon the features of the standard TP15 and with great success. Mainly, the size of the handle has been enlarged and textured for easier, ergonomic grip compared to the standard ThermoPro T15.
The “temperature lock” button has been moved next to the other buttons making it easier to access when sticking into a grill or oven.
It’s a straightforward instant read thermometer with a few added features to compete with higher-end models like the Thermapen Mk4.
It’s sturdy and well-built while staying lightweight and portable.
We tested this thermometer on chicken, pork and some other daily uses to see how it performed, and were pleased with its ease of use and accuracy.
What we like:
- Value – Fraction of the cost of higher-end thermometers, with similar accuracy and read times.
- Temperature Lock – The lock button locks the current temp when the probe is removed from food and keeps the temperature displayed, so you don’t have to dangerously lean into the grill or oven to see.
- Calibration Feature – The calibration function adjusts the thermometer sensor back to the correct accuracy making it reliable for its lifetime.
- Waterproof – Easily clean the probe under running water without worrying about damaging the electronics.
- Magnetic – Easily attach the thermometer to your fridge, oven or grill for easy access and usability.
What we don’t like:
- Longer read time – The ThermoPro TP15H has a 3 – 4 second read time which is lower than similar probes.
- No retraction – Be mindful of how you store it, as there’s no probe retraction or storage like the ThermoPro TP-19.
What’s in the box and specifications
The ThermoPro TP15H came well packaged in a slim box with a battery and user manual. Just install the battery and you’re good to go.
ThermoPro TP15H specifications:
|Response Time||3-4 seconds|
|Temp Range||-58°F – 572°F|
|Probe Length||5.4 inches|
Using the ThermoPro TP15H
Out of the box, you need only install the AAA battery and the thermometer is ready to use.
Just turn on via the power button and you’re good to go.
You can switch between Celsius and Fahrenheit by holding the power button.
The backlit display and the temperature lock make this probe convenient especially if you’re cooking low and slow overnight.
The 5.4 inch probe length is good for thicker meats like turkey or pork butt to really get deep into the meat and check internal temperature. The temperature range spans -58°F to 572°F.
Other features include a kitchen hook and magnetic back making for easy storage.
The read time of three to four seconds is longer than other ThermoPro instant read thermometers, but I found that in real life situations, you don’t notice a difference. You put it in, it settles on a temp, and you’re good to go in about three-ish seconds.
Wrapping it up
The ThermoPro TP15H is a great option if you’re in the market for a reliable instant read thermometer. If you don’t need anything fancy, or can’t justify spending on the higher-end models, then you’ll want to consider the ease, convenience and price point of the ThermoPro TP15H.