If you’re going to eat brussels sprouts, why not wrap them with bacon and smoke them?
These delicious nuggets are easy to make and so good! The salty bacon pairs well with the sweet nuttiness of brussels sprouts. Serve them up with a lemon garlic dipping sauce, and now you have a side dish that can’t be beaten.
How to make bacon wrapped brussels sprouts
If you don’t have a smoker you can make these in the oven.
You want to have really fresh brussels sprouts that are nice and green. Avoid any that are starting to turn yellow.
Wash the sprouts and cut the tops off them. Cutting off the top removes the hard bit that was attached to the stem and allows the sprout to sit flat.
Take half a slice of bacon and wrap it around the brussels sprout. I like to insert a toothpick right through the sprout to ensure the bacon stays in place.
Make sure you use thin-cut bacon, it’s easier to wrap around the sprout and also renders better, and gets nice and crispy.
Give each brussels sprout a season. I used our Honey Garlic rub for this as it has a light hint of sweetness along with the savory.
Place your wrapped brussels sprouts, seam side down, on a wire rack, pop them into the smoker, and cook for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, increase the temperature of your smoker to 375°F. The high heat is needed to render the fat in the bacon and to make them crispy. You don’t want soggy bacon, people!
About 5 minutes before you remove the sprouts, brush each one with maple syrup.
While your sprouts are cooking make the dipping sauce. Combine mayonnaise and sour cream, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and a dash or two of cayenne pepper.
This is a bright sauce with hints of garlic and just a kiss of heat from the cayenne. It’s the perfect compliment to the brussels sprouts and rounds out the dish.
Brussels sprouts are a perfect side to serve with:
Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts
- 16 oz brussels sprouts
- 1 pack thin cut bacon
- 1 tbsp Smoke Kitchen's Honey Garlic rub
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- dash of cayenne
- chives to garnish
- Heat your smoker to 225°F.
- Wash and cut the ends off the brussels sprouts.
- Take half a slice of bacon and wrap it around each brussels sprout, securing with a toothpick.
- Season each brussels sprout with Honey Garlic rub.
- Smoke brussels sprouts at 225°F for 30 minutes.
- Raise the temperature to 375°F and smoke for a further 45 minutes or until the bacon is crispy.
- Five minutes before removing the brussels sprouts, brush with maple syrup.
- For the dipping sauce, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and garnish with chives.