The key to a perfect potato is to have a smooth, creamy interior with a nice crispy exterior and these crispy grilled smashed potatoes are the perfect way to prepare them.
This is a super quick side dish that can be whipped up in about 30 minutes and will pair perfectly with steak, chops, and so much more!
How to make Crispy Grilled Smashed Potatoes
The process of making smashed potatoes is very simple. You just have to boil your potatoes until they are fork-tender, then use the end of a glass to smash them into a flat, circular shape.
Then you can season them with salt, pepper, garlic, and thyme and throw them on the grill to get nice and crispy.
1. Prep your potatoes
The key to this recipe is to choose smaller-sized potatoes. I like to use small Yukon Gold potatoes, but you can also make them with red or purple potatoes for a pop of color.
Start by washing your potatoes under water and scrubbing them to remove any dirt/debris.
Once your potatoes are clean, place them in a medium-sized saucepan and fill it with water until the potatoes are covered by about an inch.
Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to a simmer and let the potatoes cook for about 15 minutes.
To check for doneness, simply insert a fork into your potatoes. It should slide in easily. Once they are fork-tender, strain the water and lay your potatoes on a cutting board or flat surface.
2. Smash your potatoes
You can use any tool with a solid, flat surface to smash your potatoes. I like to use a pint glass or a rocks glass to smash them.
A good trick to prevent the potatoes from sticking is to coat the bottom of the glass with a bit of olive oil before you start smashing.
Then, just move down the line one by one until all of your potatoes are smashed into a flat, circular shape.
In a small bowl, combine the kosher salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, and fresh chopped thyme. Coat your smashed potatoes in olive oil, then season them on both sides with your seasoning mixture.
3. Grill your potatoes
Preheat your grill to 450°F, then place your smashed potatoes directly on the grates. Shut the grill and let them cook for about 5 minutes per side, or until they are crisped to your liking and golden brown.
Once your potatoes are crispy, remove them from the grill and serve immediately alongside sour cream for dipping. Our horseradish sauce would be great with them too!
What to serve with crispy grilled smashed potatoes
This recipe pairs perfectly with any dish that you would normally serve potatoes alongside. Here are some of my favorites:
- Grilled New York Strip Steak
- Smoked & Seared Tri Tip
- Grilled Porterhouse Steak
- Whole Smoked Chicken
- Smoked Rack of Lamb
Crispy Smashed Potatoes on the Grill
- 1 lb small Yukon gold potatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp fresh thyme roughly chopped
- Scrub your potatoes under water to remove any dirt/debris.
- Place your washed potatoes in a medium-sized saucepan and fill with enough water to completely cover the potatoes. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let the potatoes cook for about 15 minutes or until they are fork-tender.
- Strain the water and lay out your potatoes on a flat surface.
- Grab a pint glass or rocks glass, then pour 1 tbsp of the olive oil on a paper towel. Rub the olive oil all over the bottom of the glass. This will prevent your potatoes from sticking during the smashing process.
- Push the bottom of the glass down on the potatoes until they are just flattened, but not broken in half. Repeat the process until all of your potatoes are smashed.
- Coat the smashed potatoes in the remaining olive oil, then season both sides with the salt, pepper, garlic and thyme.
- Preheat your grill to 450°F and place your smashed potatoes directly on the grates.
- Let them grill for about 5 minutes per side until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately.