Nothing beats a chopped beef sandwich, in my opinion. It’s like the perfect sandwich: savory, salty, smoky brisket – the perfect combination of lean and fatty meat – tossed in a spicy, flavorful BBQ sauce, and thrown onto a bun with pickles. It just doesn’t get any better.
Chopped beef is not just chopped brisket; there is a certain part of the brisket you want to chop, a certain way you want to chop it, and Texans have been perfecting the recipe for years, and I’m going to show you how to make the best Texan Chopped Beef you’ve ever had!
Chopped Beef Brisket Sandwich
Ingredients you’ll need
- Smoked Brisket – From the point end.
- BBQ sauce – Use your favorite store-bought or homemade BBQ sauce, or whip up a batch of our Texas-style barbecue sauce.
Equipment you’ll need
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
What part of the brisket to use
The common misconception is that chopped beef is just chopped brisket, but it’s specifically chopped brisket point (fatty end).
Using only the meat from the point end of the brisket gives you the perfect fat-to-meat-to-sauce ratio.
How to make a Chopped Beef Sandwich
Grab a sharp chef’s knife and chop the point up finely.
When it’s chopped, you can add ¼ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce or whip up a batch of our Texas-style barbecue sauce and use that.
Give it another chop to incorporate the sauce into the beef.
Once the sauce and the beef are combined, you’ve got the perfect chopped beef!
Grab a bun, load on some of that beef, throw on as many pickles as desired, and you have yourself the best chopped beef sandwich you’ll ever eat.
Serve extra pickles and BBQ sauce on the side.
What else can you use chopped beef for?
- On top of loaded baked potatoes
- Alone as the main dish
- On top of mac and cheese to make a brisket mac and cheese
- A brisket grilled cheese
Some tips for smoking a brisket
- What is Brisket?
- The Best Places to Buy Brisket
- How to Safely Thaw a Brisket
- How to Trim a Brisket
- Smoking Your First Brisket
- Guide to Wrapping Brisket: When, How and What
- How to Slice Brisket
How To Make A Chopped Beef Sandwich
- 1 lb chopped beef see above for instructions
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 4 burger buns
- Place ¼ pound of chopped beef on the bottom of each burger bun.
- Add pickles and place the top bun on.
- Serve alongside more pickles and BBQ sauce.