Grilled Buffalo Chicken Dip
There are some dips that stand the test of time. They’re easy to make, delicious, and satisfying. This grilled buffalo chicken dip is one of those. It’s an absolute classic that can be made on your grill or smoker, and it’s one of my all-time favorites.
This recipe can be whipped up in about 45 minutes or less and all I have to say is you better make double because it will not last long.
It’s super versatile and there are so many things you can serve alongside to scoop up the cheesy goodness, like pretzels, tortilla chips, toasted pita bread, and potato wedges or if you’re watching your carbs celery, bell peppers and broccoli are great alternatives.
Gear you’ll need
- Charcoal grill
- Charcoal chimney
- 10″ cast iron skillet
- Instant read thermometer
- Heatproof gloves
How to make grilled buffalo chicken dip
1. Prep the chicken
Using a charcoal chimney, light your charcoal and when it’s hot, spread it onto your grill.
Season your chicken thighs with your favorite bbq rub (try our homemade poultry rub recipe) or just good old salt and pepper. I used Kosmos Dirty Bird which is a regular favorite of mine.
Since boneless chicken thighs can be laid out flat, they cook pretty fast. Just grill them directly over the heat and flip them a few times until they are cooked all the way through. Once the internal temperature of the thighs reaches 165°F they’re done.
If you don’t have time to grill chicken, a rotisserie chicken is a good substitute, but there is something about that grilled smoky flavor from charcoal that marries so well with the rest of the ingredients in this recipe. It will be worth the extra step I assure you.
Allow the thighs to cool until you are able to handle them safely, then dice them into very small cubes or chunks, you want the size to be small enough to fit on a tortilla chip when you scoop.
2. Prep the garnishes
Cook a few slices of bacon on the grill or in a pan until nice and crispy. Once cool, crumble.
Dice some green onions nice and small and slice up some jalapeño, the amount will depend on how hot you want it. I used pickled jalapeño as I really like the acidity, but fresh is fine, it will give you a slightly different texture and a little more heat.
In a mixing bowl add the cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, ¾ of the shredded cheese, and the diced chicken. Mix everything together thoroughly, transfer to your skillet and smooth it out evenly.
Take the remaining cheese and spread it all over the top. This will help make a nice crust. Plus, who doesn’t love extra cheese in their dip?
Love buffalo? Try our crispy buffalo hot wings
4. The Cook
Place the skillet right on the grill and cover with a fitting lid for 10-15 minutes.
When the cheese has melted and starts to bubble, you’re to good go. Remove the skillet from the grill – this is where your heatproof gloves come in handy!
Sprinkle the bacon, green onions, and jalapeño over the top of the melted cheese and enjoy.
Some more appetizers you might like to try
- 4 chicken thighs skinless and boneless
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 1 cup shredded cheese I used cheddar
- 2 green onions sliced
- ¼ cup jalapeño fresh or pickled
- ¼ cup bacon
- Using a charcoal chimney, light your charcoal and once it is hot spread it into your grill.
- Season the chicken thighs on both sides with your favorite bbq rub.
- Lay the thighs on the grill and cook on both sides until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Once cool enough, chop your chicken into small pieces and set aside.
- While the grill is still hot, add a couple of slices of bacon and cook till crisp. Once cooled, crumble and set aside.
- Finely chop the green onion and slice the jalapeño. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add the cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, ¾ of the shredded cheese, and the chopped chicken, stir until everything is incorporated and smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a skillet and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on the top.
- Place the skillet over the charcoal and cover with a lid for 10-15 minutes.
- When the cheese is melted and bubbling, remove it from the BBQ.
- Garnish with green onions, crumbled bacon, and jalapeños.
- Serve with dippers of choice.