I have to admit that this recipe isn’t my own – I stole it from my mom! She’s been making them for holidays, tailgates, & potlucks for as long as I can remember.
My husband loves them so much that I wouldn’t be surprised if they were part of the reason he wanted to marry into the family – but I don’t blame him.
Jalapeño Cheese Squares
These are also known as Texas Fudge. The recipe is low-carb and keto-friendly, making it the perfect snack to serve a crowd. Plus, it takes less than an hour to whip up and can be prepared ahead of time and reheated.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Cheese (obviously) – I like combining cheddar & Monterey Jack. A sharp cheese paired with a good melter. Pre-shredded or shred your own here.
- Bacon – I use pre-crumbled bacon from the store (shh), but you can crumble it yourself.
- Jalapeños – I prefer pickled to cut the spice, but fresh work just fine.
- Evaporated milk
- Flour – all-purpose
Equipment you’ll need
- Pizza oven – I used my Ninja Woodfire Outdoor Oven. It preheats quickly and maintains a perfect temperature for baking. A regular oven will work, too.
- Mixing bowls – two
- Spoon – for mixing
- Baking dish
How to make Jalapeño Cheese Squares
In a bowl, combine all of the cheese with the bacon and jalapeños. Give it a mix until it’s fully combined.
In another bowl, combine the evaporated milk, flour, and eggs. Whisk them together until there are no clumps left and the mixture is smooth.
Pour the wet ingredients on top of the cheese mixture and stir until everything is well incorporated. The texture should be similar to a dough or thick paste (but cheesier).
Spread the mixture into a baking dish. I used the pan that came with my Ninja Woodfire Outdoor Oven, but you can alternatively use a 9×13 baking dish.
2. Fire up the oven
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
I love to cook these on my Ninja Woodfire Outdoor Oven. While you can totally do them in a regular oven, the Ninja is great because it’s smaller and circulates air to make the squares perfectly crispy!
Find my full review of the Ninja Woodfire Outdoor Oven here!
Place the baking dish in the oven.
They will take 35-40 minutes, and you’ll know they’re done when the top is nice and golden brown!
You want to let them cool for 10-15 minutes before you slice them into squares for serving.
5. Storing and reheating
If you don’t finish them all at once, you can refrigerate them for up to 5 days.
To reheat, place them in the microwave on 50% power for 45-60 seconds.
More recipes to make in the Ninja Woodfire Outdoor Oven
- Smoked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Pepperoni Pizza Rolls
- Peach Cobbler in a Pizza Oven
- Quick BBQ Flatbread
Jalapeño Cheese Squares
- 16 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 16 oz Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- ½ cup crumbled bacon
- ½ cup pickled jalapeños diced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 15 oz evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- Combine the cheeses, bacon, and jalapeños in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the evaporated milk, flour, and eggs until smooth in a separate bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients onto the cheese mixture and stir until well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown & bubbly.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, slice into squares, and serve immediately.